updated Hub mode requirements

After you have edited the source code, post your patch here.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

updated Hub mode requirements

Postby old_death » 26 Oct 2010 17:41

Updated the mechanisms to calculate the minimum requirements & the score calculation. Now the amount of currently free system RAM is taken under consideration when calculating the score.

Note that I didn't update the method to check whether Shareaza is capable of running as a gnutella UP, as we don't support gnutella UP mode ATM anyway.

\me is happily waiting for comments. :mrgreen:
Attachments
2010-10-26 shareaza.7z
Contains modified versions of Shareaza.h, Shareaza.cpp and NeighboursWithConnect.cpp.
(32.11 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
old_death

Re: updated Hub mode requirements

Postby old_death » 28 Oct 2010 16:29

Thanks for including parts of my changes in r8822. However, I think that as memory is cheap nowadays, we should also increase the minimum requirements for running as a Hub to at least 512MB or 1024MB of RAM. (Currently, we're having a min. req. of only 250 MB of system RAM, which is more like a joke nowadays, as even the cheapest 300EUR Netbook has 1GB of RAM installed.)

Also, free RAM should also be included in the minimum requirements list, as without free RAM, switching to Hub mode considerably slows down the machine Shareaza is operating on, which is certainly not what we intend.
old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 29 Oct 2010 14:25

Running in hub mode can't really use more than 100MBs or so with the default settings. Add the memory Shareaza uses for other things and 250MB is as high as gives a direct benefit. Indirectly more RAM helps with doing other things at the same time, but there is no meaningful way to predict the correct amount of memory needed to support unknown things somebody else may or may not be doing at the same time. The machine might have nothing else running or might occasionally run something that uses all physical RAM and heavy paging on top.

It might be good to...

1. Increase the required RAM for systems running Vista and later. (Although any system where Vista is usable would probably qualify anyway...)
2. Add a system for dynamically dropping leaf counts when performance problems occur, all the way to leaf mode if necessary.
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 29 Oct 2010 14:33

old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 29 Oct 2010 15:58

ailurophobe

Return to Code Submission