Transfers -> Advanced -> Add Source ignored in 2.7.5.0+

Discuss Shareaza bugs.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Transfers -> Advanced -> Add Source ignored in 2.7.5.0+

Postby warp9pnt9 » 24 Jul 2014 15:01

Use case which worked as expected before 2.7.5.0:

Find BitTorrent with 1 file, as a Magnet link.
    Go to Transfers tab, click Add/Download Torrent button.
    Watch Torrent go through startup process, find sources, etc.
    Find and copy ed2k link for same file (same or similar name, same size, but you know content is the same)
    Right click Torrent -> Advanced -> Add Source, ed2k link shown as in previous versions.
    Click Download, (bug) ed2k hash not added to download, as in previous versions.
    Go to Properties, in previous versions, ed2k hash would be present, now it's not (bug).
    Finally, I would check off trusted hash and change Torrent file name if desired.

Also filed bug report on SourceForge (if still used?), #219.

https://sourceforge.net/p/shareaza/tickets/219/
warp9pnt9

Re: Transfers -> Advanced -> Add Source ignored in 2.7.5.0+

Postby raspopov » 24 Jul 2014 16:41

Check a daily build please, I noticed this bug too and already tried to fix it.

UPD: I was wrong, this is different issue, and not a bug.
raspopov
Project Admin

Postby warp9pnt9 » 24 Jul 2014 18:06

Shareaza_2.7.6.1_Win32_Debug_r9464_2014-07-19.exe

Tried this, same bug. Is there a more recent one to try? Can't find other "daily" versions?

Example Magnet (with BitTorrent) and ED2K below.

Magnet:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6a6d4c6a6d355f2b3b5d172ebeea714e1265bc9f&xt=urn:md5:ff1e1f95718dff26f1673dfbcc15651b&xl=5562368&dn=LibreOffice_4.2.5_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.msi&as=http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.2.5/win/x86/LibreOffice_4.2.5_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.msi&tr=http://tracker.documentfoundation.org:6969/announce

ED2K:

ed2k://|file|LibreOffice_4.2.5_Win_x86_ ... 5UU7K2TJ|/
warp9pnt9

Postby raspopov » 24 Jul 2014 23:16

Ah, this case. This is not a source, just hash. Shareaza can not determine that this is a same file just by size and according "General.HashIntegrity" option requires at least one equal hash. I think it's safe to allow such operation since it's a manual action in advanced menu.
raspopov
Project Admin

Postby warp9pnt9 » 26 Jul 2014 18:39

raspopov wrote:Ah, this case. This is not a source, just hash. Shareaza can not determine that this is a same file just by size and according "General.HashIntegrity" option requires at least one equal hash. I think it's safe to allow such operation since it's a manual action in advanced menu.

Ok, maybe not a bug, but an unintended "feature" that was useful before 2.7.5.0. :) It was working this way in 2.7.4.0 and previous without any setting changes. Shareaza added the hash but did not check the "trusted" box, I would check it as trusted. This only reason I use Shareaza is to download a file from multiple protocols, which saves time when there's few and unique sources on each network. It's easier to copy a link, right-click file, add the source, rather than copy link, paste somewhere, select just the hash, copy hash, go to properties, click ed2k box, paste hash. I did this successfully, but is more tedious than old behavior.

A hash is a "top-level" or "root" source. It's the only way to get sources on a P2P network. To the user, the distinction is meaningless. Forget client/server design for a moment. Each network is a "source" of the file, in the broadest, most general sense of the word (not in the specific programmer's context of client-server/P2P). I add a link indicating I want to look on this network or that for a file I reasonably believe to be the same. I assume responsibility to review info and decide if files are likely the same before trying this.

No need for Shareaza to be psychic. :) The user should know very well if the file is the same (same size, same name, same description of contents), or willing to take the risk, aware that unexpected results can happen if using hashes for separate files which happen to have same size, name and description (would seem very rare to me). But, Shareaza could do a very basic check: if sizes are different, then hash can be ignored (or error message).

Thank you for your efforts to look into this. Have a good day.
warp9pnt9

Return to Bugs