Web interface to serve the actual file

Discuss Shareaza features.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Web interface to serve the actual file

Postby jefft0 » 21 Feb 2012 02:58

Hello. I understand from the Help forum that I'm asking about a new feature: Can Shareaza's web interface respond with the actual file requested? For example, suppose Shareaza is running on my local computer and in my browser I click something like:
"http://localhost:6436/get/magnet?xt=urn:sha1:TT467I63U4EA6CYGP2MDRHQ3Z3VZGVSI&dn=vacation.jpg"
If the file is not already cached in the Shareaza library, then it is downloaded. The file is served back to the browser the same as if I used the browser to click on the file directly.

This feature would allow a web page to have the browser get and directly display an HTML, image or PDF file, using P2P with Shareaza in the background. (I realize the latency would be large, but it is OK to leave a browser tab open while the file is loaded.)

Thanks for any help,
- Jeff
jefft0

Re: Web interface to serve the actual file

Postby cyko_01 » 21 Feb 2012 04:55

cyko_01

Postby jefft0 » 21 Feb 2012 08:40

jefft0

Postby ailurophobe » 22 Feb 2012 21:26

So basically you are talking about "hierarchical storage" with Shareaza acting as a local cache for content stored in P2P so that all the content is available if needed but you only need to store stuff you use often enough for the performance to matter locally? Pretty much only use I can see for such is for having lots of video or audio with a player embedded to the page. Otherwise you would be better just including normal magnet links and people downloading them normally. Essentially using P2P as a free and secure content delivery network with local cache? Interesting idea, although I can't really figure out a legal use for it.

But I really think you need to write a separate browser plug-in for that. And it would really be a feature for a media player plug-in to support using a magnet source, not for a P2P application to support serving to a web page. Maybe you could ask the VLC people about it.

Alternately, if that is enough for you this could be added to the remote client. It would be possible to make Shareaza content viewable in the remote client. And that could include files in collections even if the particular file hasn't actually been downloaded yet. No idea if the Shareaza devs would be interested in coding that, but it would make a legit feature request IMHO.
ailurophobe

Postby raspopov » 23 Feb 2012 18:27

jefft0, What for?
raspopov
Project Admin

Return to Features