Support for Usenet

Discuss Shareaza features.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Support for Usenet

Postby highFreq » 08 Jun 2015 01:13

Hi Shareaza Team;

I have been using Shareaza for quite a while and I am very impressed with it's multi-network approach. I am especially enthralled with how well many of these disparate networks are well integrated into Shareaza so that a file being downloaded on Torrents can also be downloaded simultaneously from the other netowrks and http given the right file hashes as well as the sources.

I was also ectstatic to see IRC and DC++ also come to Shareaza. I think Shareaza can also benefit from including Usenet Binary downloading capabilities so as to complete the package. To those who don't know Usenet; it is a paid for service using the NNTP protocol to download NZB's (much like Torrents). These NZB's are linked to multipart rar'ed and encoded articles which after decoding, parity checking, and unraring results in a complete file. Usenet prices are quite reasonable and these days they offer many services such as cloud storage, SSL, and VPN's. If you want to learn more then check out Slyck for a great how-to article on Usenet. Usenet is quite popular these days and supplanting many of the old vanguard of P2P networks since Usenet relies on the very fast Client Server model. It is anonymous (only the Usenet server knows plus SSL and VPN add extra layers of protection), plus it does not require uploading (files are just downloaded).

There are several solid Usenet applications out there such as Altbinz, Grabit, and SABnzbd+ ... I think Shareaza can add diversity to it. Major building blocks for NNTP are already inside Shareaza such as the unrar plugin, library, download manager, torrent/ nzb handling. I'm not a coder so I won't trivialize the complexity involved; but I will say adding Usenet to Shareaza will make Shareaza the ultimate swiss army knife of P2P.

Just a random question ... how many here use Usenet?
highFreq

Re: Support for Usenet

Postby raspopov » 08 Jun 2015 17:35

raspopov
Project Admin

Re: Support for Usenet

Postby highFreq » 10 Jun 2015 03:41

highFreq

Return to Features