G2 connection problem

Post comments about Shareaza code and discuss with other developers.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

G2 connection problem

Postby siavoshkc » 30 Aug 2012 16:13

Regarding the problem about connecting to G2 hubs I changed the code in a way that TW, CN and HK will not be cached anymore. Tell me if you were interested.
siavoshkc

Re: G2 connection problem

Postby old_death » 01 Sep 2012 19:26

It would be better to include the information within the host cache code to store which IPs we were able to establish a complete connection to. Like this those hosts (as well as the alt-IPs we got from them) would be prioritized against the IPs we got from untrusted sources (e.g. discovery services and IPs we couldn't establish a working connection to). Also, it would be best if these trusted IPs were to remain longer within the Host Cache than other IPs.

We could implement kind of an IP rating system: Add to the score each time we do successfully connect to an IP; reduce score on failed connection; give alt-IPs the score of their source -1; forward only IPs to other clients that have a sufficiently high rating.
old_death

Postby dowse » 20 Sep 2012 14:05

This may belong somewhere else, but I have to start somewhere. Delete at your leisure.

My system was flooded with "CN and HK" cache ip numbers. Every hub, both the cache
and the cluster. The result was a constant attempt to connect with those hubs. Each
connection dropped immeadiately, all other functions of sharing stopped. It's not a likely
condition, considering the overall random location of users worldwide. Has a normal
function of the hub refresh function been utilized to take over the caching system? The
resulting effect made a crash that I could not record. I spent time banning ip numbers.
Thanking "old_death" for his work on the X-Ray Security filter! I finally banned 5 entire
ip nets, 123, 118, 114, 61, 60. I deleted all the cache lists and requeried some discovery
hosts. The problem seems to have ended, and I'm getting tens of thousands of hits a day
from the banned network ranges. I don't want to refuse legitimate users, but the crash
was one of several prior to my study of it. The machine would crash, without a bug to report
on. Is there a way to log those ip#s outside of the security tab. so that the initial hits that
replace the cache can be identified? I will remove the bans and log them for the filter, if that's
possible. I have 76 gig at stake, so I'm willing to work on it, if it's needed.

ver 2.5.5.0
no share browsing or chat enabled
no ed2k enabled, G1G2 only
3 G2 links, 2 G1 links
on Xp
BSD 8.2 available
dowse

Postby cyko_01 » 02 Oct 2012 02:53

cyko_01

Postby old_death » 02 Oct 2012 19:29

old_death

Postby dowse » 02 Oct 2012 22:27

cyko_01,
I'm far from an expert here, I'm working on it though.
Many moons ago, I found the first security addition, to shareaza, that I made use of.
It was a file named "X-Ray Security Filter by Old_Death", it's origin is unknown to me.
It had the basic ip filter list in it, and I learned how to use the security page because of that.

It contained this section in the "read me",

Shareaza Security Centre presents :
-------------------------------------------------

New Release: Shareaza Security filter 7.5
Program: Shareaza
Type: XML files
Release Date: 10/10/2007
Creator: Wout000 / Everyone who sent in a valid report
Based upon: The incredible work of CrashUK, OAB, Kjf2 and funchords
Format: Archive (.Zip)
---

You were close, with the creators name. I've attributed it to Old_Death because of the original
file name. It's old now, but worked when I received it. If I read that file before now, I would have
mentioned everyone -ish.
I fresh installed the 2.6.0.0, and am watching the discovery and host lists. I'll send you ip #s that
exceed some level of question, but I don't want to post them unless you prefer that I do.
I did notice a line in the system buffer that was labeled "Bug" and said my downloader was requesting
a file segment that it knew was not available from the source. (FYI)
Lastly, thank you, for the effort you put in to make this system work! You deserve a cookie, but I don't
have any. I'm more of the donut type! I do have an old 1U machine you can have though. Let me know.
dowse

Postby siavoshkc » 16 Nov 2012 13:44

I see my patch as the only short term solution.

I should note that it is a serious problem and make G2 completely useless. God knows how many people can't connect to G2 right now.
siavoshkc

Return to Development Discussion