G2 DHT Extension

Post comments about Shareaza code and discuss with other developers.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

G2 DHT Extension

Postby siavoshkc » 21 Mar 2013 18:23

As you know it is possible to add DHT functionality to G2 which as I know is not implemented in Shareaza yet. Do you know any RFC or standard for it? If no we should make one.

If we implement DHT for G2 that can be used in Kad too. So I decided to do so. First implementing the G2 DHT extension then using it for Kad.

I also need to know about the functionality of BT DHT in Shareaza. Is it functional now? Can we use it for G2 and Kad too?
Last edited by siavoshkc on 24 Mar 2013 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
siavoshkc

BT DHT Extension

Postby skinvista » 21 Mar 2013 21:30

For BitTorrent implementation see: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/bittorrent
skinvista

Re: G2 DHT Extension

Postby old_death » 22 Mar 2013 21:32

BT DHT is working. Shareaza uses a separately developed library. See the readme.

As for G2 DHT and Kad, I think it might be intelligent to implement KAD support first and after doing so, adding G2 DHT. Like this, G2 DHT could profit from the knowledge gained while implementing KAD and we could also reuse bigger chinks of existing (KAD) code more easily for the implementation of G2 DHT.
Also, it seems to me that KAD would currently give our users a much greater advantage than a new DHT supported by Shareaza only. This is especially true as more and more of the old eD2k servers are failing and due to past misbehavior (real or perceived), Shareaza is banned from quite a lot of the remaining servers. Also, with every new version of eMule and co, more and more users are switching over from the servers to KAD permanently, which effectively makes server based eD2k a dieing network.
old_death

Return to Development Discussion