Future direction

Post comments about Shareaza code and discuss with other developers.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Future direction

Postby dr-flay » 03 Aug 2013 06:02

dr-flay

Re: Future direction

Postby fractalmode » 08 Aug 2013 20:42

1000% agree with your full comment. I have been thinking on and off for years about ShareazaNext and what features/requirements it might have and how G2/GNext could be woven into the fabric of the internet itself. Unfortunately, as is the case for many, I am not currently a programmer. Still, there may be useful ideas to push off from and we might get lucky and find one or two that are both trivial to implement and high impact.
fractalmode

Postby old_death » 10 Aug 2013 13:53

If you would like to get started with some programming, we'd like to assist you. Just visit the Quazaa website and have a look at the forums. :mrgreen:

(The Quazaa project is all about writing a new G2 client with roughly the same feature set as Shareaza. We're always looking for new people to help out.)
old_death

Postby dr-flay » 11 Sep 2013 17:30

Oh if only I had carried on learning to program.
I would already have done it, and presented it for you to try by now :(

I am more a "Jack-of-all-trades and master of none".
There's just too many things I can do with a PC to spend long doing anything. I try to make time for editing Unreal engine maps, and run a music label for free mashups, and .... etc.

I have talked to a few programmers, but oddly I have found it is the older programmers who instantly "get-it", and a few people just struggling to understand it.
I have not proposed anything that radical, but I think the youth only understand torrents and just latch onto that.
Considering they amount of funky new web-based torrent applications, I can already see the net drifting into more distributed delivery system.

Discovering what Mapraider are doing with Shareaza, just made so much sense, I cannot believe it took this long, and that no-one else is doing it.
Anyone can instantly re-mirror a downed or blocked site or server, from anywhere on the planet, if all the backend was served from the p2p networks.

True cloud computing. Not this marketed bollocks, where you pre-upload all the stuff you may want onto a server that belongs to who ?
If Shareaza, Quazaa, and PeerProject could beef-up the remote access. Maybe have a standardised API for talking to sites and applications, we could use them for serving files to apps on phones, websites and our own personal use.
I used to use the built-in "Unite" functionality in Opera 11 (it still works in 11), to share my music folders to my blog.
They were never uploaded, until I or someone else played them.
True cloud computing should be Shareaza(etc)-powered, so anyone can do it from their own home.

http://www.programmableweb.com
There are loads of APIs being created that blend everything together, and I use a good example as my option in streaming music.
Seesu http://seesu.me accesses the various APIs of certain sites, and allows me to continue using my expired Last.fm free radio.
It logs into my Last.fm and VK.com accounts. It uses Last.fm info to build the interface, but searches many sites for the files.
It often finds many variations of a file, so you can play from any source you prefer (it also plays videos it finds).
It has also includes results from torrents (this usually finds albums), but I feel that p2p delivery of the individual files would be better. The author is looking at integrating the torrent for streaming with "Torque"
http://torque.bittorrent.com/labs/

Actually come to think of it Seesu could probably be hosted in a Shareaza tab.
http://www.programmableweb.com/mashup/seesu

Either the multi-client programs become more capable as a web-server, or a separate layer (web server bolt-on) is made to talk to it from above.
I don't know which is more feasible, so I thought I'd ask a few communities for opinions and feedback.
These programs can already be used for mirroring the server contents, but people just don't like the magnet links if they have never used them.

Complete web-transparency, so files are served in the structure and name form they were asked for, would also allow games to fetch map and mod data as if it came from a normal domain address.

Looking at the future I think;
Google hashes the net, so why not move all DLs over to a hashed and secure system.
People can guarantee genuine untampered files, without the users manually comparing the MD5 from the site (who ever bothers. I did it once.)
dr-flay

Postby cyko_01 » 25 Sep 2013 00:45

cyko_01

Postby dr-flay » 06 Oct 2013 14:06

Looks interesting, I will investigate the potential 8-)

A member of the GRC security news group posted this http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris_(Serverless_Portal_System)
looking for more feedback, so I thought I'd come to you to see if anyone has tried it.

On the face-of-it, this is more what I was looking for, to create the front-end for the end-user.
The system is based on Kademlia but I am not sure about the interoperability of eD2k files being served from Shareaza.
If it is using standard eD2k hashes, then I guess it should work ?

A knowledgeable member of of another forum I use has expressed security issues with the concept of hosting sites with p2p
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5171&start=0

Any opinions on this system, and Feralidragons observations would be most welcome.
Last edited by old_death on 06 Oct 2013 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
dr-flay

Return to Development Discussion