Request: Hardcoded limit of max 16 Hub2Hub connections

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Request: Hardcoded limit of max 16 Hub2Hub connections

Postby old_death » 12 Feb 2011 00:54

Hubs with high numbers of cluster members do harm the network as they can overload clients who are searching for popular files by returning extreme amounts of hits. Also, they do waste network resources (bandwidth). I think we should therefore set the hardcoded limit to something smaller or equal to 16. Because really, nobody needs more Hub2Hub connections, however there are many people who have set their Shareaza to keep more Hub2Hub connections, usually because they simply don't know that having more connections does not improve their connectivity, search results or downloads.

This page shows statistics from the crawler concerning the issue: http://crawler.trillinux.org/badhubs.html

mfg,
Old

PS.: something must be done about the 0-leaf Hub bug. Maybe debug asserts should be introduced checking the leaf count calculations, as when I am seeing this problems, new leaves are always refused because Shareaza thinks there are in fact no free slots left (while I have got 0/300 leaves), so there is a problem in the management of those slot numbers.
old_death

Re: Request: Hardcoded limit of max 16 Hub2Hub connections

Postby old_death » 20 Feb 2011 17:17

*bump*

A limit of 12 is most probably the maximal number of Hun2Hub (Peer2Peer) connections that anyone should ever have...

PS.: Plz ignore the PS above, this bug has been fixed in v2.5.4.0.
old_death

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion