selecting the files to share on eD2k

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

selecting the files to share on eD2k

Postby old_death » 20 Feb 2011 16:51

We all know that eD2k sucks with small files, due to the protocols internal design. Also, most eD2k servers do limit the amount of files to be shared by one client to a total of 1000-2000 files.

This is why I think we should make Shareaza choose bigger files rather than small files when selecting those to upload to a server from a big library. An enforced size limit could be put in place that makes Shareaza first take all files above the limit (random order) and if the server allows more files to be shared, those below the limit could be taken, too. Like this, we would be helping the eD2k network, as it is not really optimized for sharing .txt and .mp3 files anyway and make the shared files more useful for other network members.

Also, a nice-to-have would be an advanced setting to limit the number of files to be shared via eD2k (as sharing big numbers of files is generally not advised anyway).
old_death

Re: selecting the files to share on eD2k

Postby ailurophobe » 20 Feb 2011 20:45

eDonkey.MinServerFileSize and eDonkey.MaxShareCount?
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 21 Feb 2011 15:33

old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 21 Feb 2011 19:20

My suggestion would be:

Actually query the server about its file limit. (The servers tell this, apparently.)
Then share that amount of files, largest first.
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 21 Feb 2011 19:55

I think this might indeed be the best idea so far. :)
However the file size limit should still be increased to 10MB and the eDonkey.MaxShareCount should still dominate the eD2k server side setting, I think.
old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 22 Feb 2011 19:12

Sure, you could and should still keep the settings and have them as absolute limits on what to share.
But there is no real benefit to increasing the default minimum file size that I can see. The downloader is not going to sit in the queue long enough for it to do any harm if they can find a faster source. And if they can't then sharing the file was a good thing. So the defaults should IMHO be that there is no limit unless the user sets one.
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 23 Feb 2011 13:26

It has a single benefit for the eD2k network (= less small files for which the network hasn't been designed) and a double for Shareaza: On the one hand, eD2k will work better, on the other hand, the probability of finding an other Shareaza client first as an eD2k source (before finding it as G2 source) for small downloads diminishes, which could speed up many downloads...
old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 23 Feb 2011 22:04

There is no possible benefit for the ED2K network from sharing fewer files. With Kad maybe, but with servers (which is all Shareaza even supports) there is no significant cost from sharing more files or queuing for files that complete before you need the queue position.

I agree Shareaza should be more aggressive in searching for G2 sources for small files that have ED2K sources with long queues, but reducing the number of shared files isn't the correct solution.

How about:
Complement Downloads.MinSources and Downloads.QueueLimit with a new setting that would be the maximum queue length that still counts for the MinSources.
Allow Shareaza to connect to the same source over both ED2K and HTTP, for the same file or for two different files. I think it actually should do this, but I haven't seen it happening.
The reason G2 is so fast on small files is because Shareaza (the most common source) has dedicated "Small Files" queue. This should default to being enabled for ED2K and HTTP not just HTTP.
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 24 Feb 2011 01:04

old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 24 Feb 2011 03:38

ailurophobe

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion