Feature Removal/Change Request: Low Disc Space'

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Feature Removal/Change Request: Low Disc Space'

Postby michael1066 » 19 Apr 2011 05:17

It is for me, the most annoying feature of Shareaza: When Shareaza decides you have low disc space it bangs up an alert. It's not the alert that's the problem (although, it does nag a bit). It's the arbitrary action Shareaza then later takes (without warning, explanation or any option to override that action) that's the limit! You have Shareaza minimised, assuming it's getting on with its work and then later you pop it up to see your WHOLE download list, every last single file (no matter how small) is set to 'pause'! All set to queued would be bad enough. Now, click on anyone of those downloads (twice) to set it pending again (no matter how big it is), low and behold it will start downloading again, as will many of the others when you click each twice to set them back to pending. Obviously, the arbitrary setting to pause is not because it can't possibly download anything else because there's no space left. In my case, I had 3 GB left. There was no way I was going to download even close to 3 GB in one night or even three night's worth of downloading. At some point later you may close the client down for a period and then when you restart it the whole lot is set to pause AGAIN!It's a case of 'you can download plenty more data but we wont let you...because we say so'. Oh dear...'bossy software' alert! This is the biggest no-no for me. I will at some point, when 'I' decide, make some more room on the drive...but that time will not be when Shareaza demands I snap to it. The ONLY justification for Shareaza taking such arbitrary extreme action is if the low degree of free space is at a real risk of seriously destabilising the computer system. But that justification doesn't exist in my case (and no doubt also in that of many others) as the drive with the low space is not my system drive (C), but my external drive (H) used solely for storage. It is also on the external drive my completed and partial downloads folders are stored. Only the actual Shareaza program files are installed on C, my system drive, a drive with plenty of space. The worst danger I may face is that I may end up with a full external drive and not be able to download anything else. That's okay, it's my drive and I can have a full drive if I want to. And it's reversible. But, the choice should be mine to make, when I want to make it.

The feature needs to be modified. A feature that warns or reminds or advises is cool. One that instead appoints itself the policeman of your computer and makes blanket settings changes to your client software without permission, explanation (I had to guess why it started happening) or any means of preventing or reversing it is not cool.

If this is not actually a deliberate design feature of Shareaza, then it's a bug. Either way, it needs attending to and I would certainly appreciate it.
michael1066

Re: Feature Removal/Change Request: Low Disc Space'

Postby cyko_01 » 19 Apr 2011 13:45

if I am not mistaken there are two advanced settings for this feature - one that warns you when you reach a certain amount of free disk space (General.DiskSpaceWarning) and one that pauses your downloads at a certain limit(General.DiskSpaceStop). you should be able to change the one that pauses your downloads so it will never pause them.
cyko_01

Postby old_death » 19 Apr 2011 17:19

Yeah, maybe the warning feature should be changed to detect whether an operating system is installed on the drive Shareaza stores its files on. Then the drive can be filled almost completely before pausing the downloads...
old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 19 Apr 2011 19:09

I think I saw this too... The problem is not, I think, a Shareaza feature or setting, but that apparently at some times Windows or Anti-virus blocks access to some folders. I've had to rebuild my library twice relatively recently because of this, Shareaza just could not reload library data, or search data for that matter, on start up. IIRC I have also seen all downloads pause since Shareaza thought there was zero disk space left. No idea if this is because of Windows 7 enhanced security or the P2P shield in my anti-virus. (Which I had to disable when rebuilding the library since it freezes the entire machine for tens of seconds while checking additions to the library...)
ailurophobe

Postby cyko_01 » 20 Apr 2011 02:56

My suggestion was not intended as a fix, but as a work-around until it is fixed properly.
cyko_01

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion