Magnet links & registry problems even after uninstall

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Magnet links & registry problems even after uninstall

Postby Kurt » 21 Apr 2014 15:42

I have tried using Shareaza and found that it took over my torrent file handling and magnet links even though I told it not to at install, and then turned that off in the setting afterwards. In fact, it took them over so well, qBitTorrent can't even take them back any more. So I uninstalled Shareaza and found that whatever it did to my registry survived after uninstall, so I opened up my registry editor (remember this is after uninstallation) and found literally dozens of Shareaza entries all over, from the magnet handler to media handlers. There may have been hundreds, I stopped deleting them after I hit 20 or so and am now about to use system restore to fix this. For a program that says it intends to play nice with a user's computer, it certainly doesn't play very nice.

Having to use system restore to clean up after the mess Shareaza made to my computer is serious. And I am quite unimpressed.
Kurt

Re: Magnet links & registry problems even after uninstall

Postby old_death » 23 Apr 2014 16:07

That's funny. Other programs like uTorrent for instance have never had problems taking torrent links from Shareaza (in my experience). Also, if there are no other programs detected that handle the selected links, Shareaza handles them by default... Are you sure that you are not talking about some qBitTorrent deficiency while registering links here?
old_death

Postby Kurt » 24 Apr 2014 12:07

I don't know how qBitTorrent handles magnet URIs. I'll look into it when I get home from work. What I do know is magnet links worked prior to installing Shareaza, that the installer asked me if I wanted Shareaza to take over handling them, which I said no to and which it did anyway, that qBitTorrent recognized that it didn't "own" magnet links any more but couldn't successfully take them back, and that after I uninstalled Shareaza, it left behind dozens of registry entries including a stale magnet handler entry.
Kurt

Postby siavoshkc » 11 Aug 2014 17:46

Are you sure you installed legitimate Shareaza and not a fake one?
siavoshkc

Postby Sophist » 15 Aug 2014 07:41

I have had the same problem, and I am absolutely certain that I have always installed a legit copy of Shareaza and never a fake one.
Sophist

Postby raspopov » 15 Aug 2014 19:21

Shareaza uninstaller removes all registry entries created during installation and Shareaza work. For example which registry key was left?
raspopov
Project Admin

Re: Magnet links registry problems even after uninstall

Postby Sophist » 01 Mar 2016 22:42

Sophist

Re: Magnet links registry problems even after uninstall

Postby siavoshkc » 02 Mar 2016 11:54

siavoshkc

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion