Features for activity of transfers?

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Features for activity of transfers?

Postby tomtop » 31 Jul 2010 09:24

Is it possible to see when a transfer was last active? I mean; When was the last time valid data was received and when was the last time data was sent to another client.. If this is not possible - wouldn't it be a nice feature? Then it would be possible to cancel transfers that has not been active for a longer period (and probably never will complete).

Also, wouldn't it be nice to have a feature that could tell you how "popular" a transfer is - thereby meaning that depending on the amount of data send/received pr. hour (or alike) for a transfer it could be rated on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is "uninteresting" and 10 is "extremely hot" or something like that?

Hope you understand :-)
tomtop

Re: Features for activity of transfers?

Postby old_death » 31 Jul 2010 13:22

Maybe a last complete copy seen column. That would help more IMHO...
old_death

Postby ailurophobe » 31 Jul 2010 17:14

Yes, last seen complete would be nice. I think I asked for that before, but it must have been on the previous forum. Or the one before that...
You can see when data was last received by opening the incomplete folder in the Explorer and checking the last modified of the .partial file. Not very convenient, but if you really need to... I have actually used this to pick transfer to delete as hopeless in the past.

A "hotness" measure might be nice. People like stuff like that and it could be used to optimize upload queues by giving very popular files a shorter slice.
ailurophobe

Postby tomtop » 31 Jul 2010 18:35

I believe that "last seen completed" is not that easy to implement since it would require a modification of the protocols (not likely) or some sort of feedback-server whereto all completed downloads must be reported and this would require a lot of data-capacity and network traffic.

The trick with the incomplete-folder is possible - but not usable for the basic user. Since it is an easy thing to implement in raza it would be nice to have such a feature.

Consider columns "Last data received", "Last data sent", "Overall ratio" and "Estimated completion" where "overall ratio" would be the bytes pr. second ratio since the transfer was started and the "estimated completion" would be a calculation of time spend divided by data received multiplied with remaining data (converted to a timestamp - a programmer should understand that... sort of ;-) )

The columns must not nescessary be in the transfer list - they could also be in the transfer properties dialog.
tomtop

Postby old_death » 31 Jul 2010 19:12

old_death

Postby tomtop » 31 Jul 2010 19:34

tomtop

Postby ailurophobe » 01 Aug 2010 23:24

It is "last seen complete by this client." Whether the source actually was complete or there was a complete source somewhere else, both of which, just like you said, would be complex to determine are not needed. This is because the info is only used to drop downloads that have no reasonable chance of completing. Optimistically assuming that clients have all the parts they advertise (until proven otherwise and banned) and ignoring sources you haven't been able to find by the time you get impatient are both just fine for this use.

Many other P2P clients have had this feature for a long time.
ailurophobe

Postby old_death » 05 Aug 2010 15:17

old_death

Postby siavoshkc » 05 Aug 2010 18:12

Shareaza maintains a list of sources for each download. It tries to connect to each of these sources. Each time it fails Shareaza adds bigger amount of time to next check out until some specified limit is reached. For example it tries 5 times source X. The time distance between first check and next is 5 minutes. Next check time distance would be 25 minutes and so on (exponential increase). If never drop option is on it will never drop sources (aka remove them). On the other hand by default Shareaza searches for sources every 120 minutes.

Based on what have been said, if never drop is off and download got no or very few sources for a long time chances are it can't be completed. If never drop is on, in downloads window, you click on filter button and select "Show All Sources". This way you can see the sources that are scheduled to be checked and the time left to next check. If all sources have big numbers like 600 minutes or so, again chances are download can't be completed.

A good thing to note is that manual search is more efficient than auto search. I don't know why yet. But if your download stays uncompleted for a long time do a manual search for it again.
siavoshkc

Postby loopyloo » 13 Aug 2010 11:34

+1 to a last seen complete report.
loopyloo

Postby dvorakqwerty » 21 Sep 2010 08:29

I would be happy with a simple "Born-on-Date" of when I added a file to the transfer list....then I could delete the ones that were obviously stale.

DQ
dvorakqwerty

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion