Changes to eDonkey.MaxLinks do not take effect until restart

Discuss Shareaza development as a user.
Forum rules
Home | Wiki | Rules

Changes to eDonkey.MaxLinks do not take effect until restart

Postby blackflag100 » 10 Nov 2010 17:22

Present in: 2.3.5.0 and 2.3.5.1 (r8848).

In fact it's a bit worse than that. It seems that if a download reaches eDonkey.MaxLinks ed2k sources it will not add more to that download (other than ones found via source exchange?!) until a restart, period. Raising eDonkey.MaxLinks won't allow manual or search result adding of ed2k sources to it. Manually forgetting sources to bring the total number of ed2k sources below the old eDonkey.MaxLinks value also won't. Nothing short of a restart apparently will.

Normally this isn't actually much of a problem because of source exchange, and the fact that source exchange seems to be exempt from this limit. The problem occurs when all of the known sources are too busy to talk to your node at all, at the same time, preventing downloading AND source exchange. A new search may well discover a new source but you won't be able to add it without the slow and painstaking process of restarting Shareaza. Which of course will also cost you your hard-won queue positions on every ed2k download where you have gotten queued on sources.
blackflag100

Re: Changes to eDonkey.MaxLinks do not take effect until restart

Postby cyko_01 » 11 Nov 2010 00:01

that sounds like acceptable, even expected, behaviour to me. You are changing an advanced setting after all.
cyko_01

Postby ailurophobe » 11 Nov 2010 03:32

Restarting Shareaza does not lose your ED2K queue position unless it makes you miss a reconnection window for that particular source or takes long enough that Shareaza discards its source info. (30 min? 1 h? I don't remember.) Gnutella and G2 positions are lost, obviously.
ailurophobe

Postby ailurophobe » 12 Nov 2010 01:43

There is an actual window (although I doubt it is really called that) AFAIK, the length of which varies depending on the queue position. A simple restart should not generally be an issue. Personally I just try to avoid doing stuff like Windows reboots if I am actively downloading something with few sources.
ailurophobe

Return to Bugs, Tasks, and Features Discussion